Thursday, July 2, 2015

Custom TV Console


Some friends of mine reached out to me wanting a piece of furniture to put their television on. Their space was unique and required a custom piece, so I began by taking measurements and drawing up a few design ideas.


Here's a quick sketch of the one we decided on. After figuring out all my cuts and measurements, with supply list in hand, I headed to Home Depot for the wood.


My favorite Home Depot employee, Terry, cut my 3/4" hardwood plywood down to (roughly) the right size.


I did the smaller cuts with my new Ryobi table saw. (Yay!!)


I started my making 3/4 inch pocket holes along my side pieces using my Kreg Jig.


Then, I attached the sides to the back with 1 1/2 inch pocket hole screws and wood glue.


Next, I attached the center dividing pieces the same way.


After that, I attached the bottom with pocket hole screws and glue.


Here's a close-up of the bottom, I pre drilled these holes just like I do with the Kreg Jig, but only using the drill bit (and not the jig) so the screws would go straight into the wood and be flush.


Then I started laying out my trim boards for the facing. I used 1x2 Pine for the horizontal pieces and 1x3 Pine for vertical pieces. (The decorative moulding in this photo I ended up returning because it just didn't quite work)


I used this handy corner clamp to screw together the corners, it made things so much easier (thanks Armando!)


Here was my progress after doing the bottom piece and the horizontal pieces.


Then, I added the top and middle diving pieces for the drawer faces and doors.


I just used my Kreg clamp to hold these pieces in place while drilling.


Here's a look at the back of the facing. You can see where I put the Kreg Jig pocket holes in order that my screws wouldn't hit.


Back to the decorative moulding, I searched Home Depot and Lowes for something that would match a piece of furniture that my friends already have in their house. Needless to say I couldn't find anything close, so I decided to try to make my own. Using my table saw, I adjusted the blade so that it would only cut a 1/8 of an inch into the wood and made cuts every two inches.


Then I started making the doors using 1x3's. After cutting them to length, I used my table saw to make a notch down the side for the 1/8th of an inch hardwood plywood to go.


Next using my corner clamp and Kreg clamp, I screwed together the frame for the doors.


After screwing three sides of the door frame, I slid the hardwood plywood into the notch and added the final piece of the frame.


Here's the first one that I did. Each one got a little easier and by the last one I felt like a pro (well not really, but it turned out the best!).


Here's a photo of my progress at this point. I made the drawer fronts from the 3/4in cabinet grade hardwood plywood, that the main body of the piece is made from.


Next it was time for primer! I used a grey-toned primer for dark paint by Zinsser with a foam roller. Here's my little helper playing inside the cabinet while I worked.


After two coats of primer, it was time for paint! My friends decided on a beautiful deep red to match some other furniture in their house. I had to use a tiny artist's paintbrush to get into the cuts of the trim. For the rest of the piece I used a foam roller and large paintbrush.


I applied three coats of paint all over, allowing it to completely dry in between coats. Then I hung the doors and the drawer faces and added closing magnets to keep the doors closed.


When we delivered the cabinet, it was a tight fit getting it into place because their granite countertop overhang into the space where the cabinet was going. So the guys had to lift it up over the counter and slide it down into place.


I learned a lot working on this one! There are things I would try differently next time, but overall I'm happy with the way it turned out. (Stay tuned for a photo with the hardware added)

1 comment:

  1. You rock girl! You are so gifted and tenanted!
    I. LOVE. POWERTOOLS!! Haha
    Love your site!

    ReplyDelete