Thursday, August 11, 2016

Painting Our Bathroom Cabinets


Being married to a banker, I am always trying to stretch a dollar as far as it will go and I feel like fresh paint is one of the best ways to do that. You can completely change the look of a room, or piece of furniture, simply by painting it.
In our mater bathroom, the cabinets are original to when the house was built in the 70's. They are large with lots of storage -so instead of taking them out and buying new ones, I decided to paint them.


The color I wanted is a medium blue, with gray undertones. I had several cans of different shades of gray and blue paint left over from previous projects and I decided to do a little paint mixing.


After I had mixed all the paint together that I had, it wasn't turning out the shade I had in mind. So I went to Homedepot and bought a few different sample sizes of blues and added them in the mix. I ended up with this pretty shade (above) which dries a little darker than it looks here.

I started by priming the cabinets with Zinsser BIN Primer with a foam roller. It goes on quickly and dries within 45 minutes. I bought the smaller size for this small project.




We have two small children and I was trying to get as much done during their nap time as possible, so I only did one coat of primer. In the past I usually do two coats, but one seemed to do the trick with this project. 

After the primer was dry, I used a paintbrush and applied my custom, blue paint. I put it on pretty thick, again hoping not to need several coats. 


I ended up painting two coats, it covered pretty well. 


 Finally, I added the new hardware. I chose a brushed bronze and I love the contrast the dark handles make against the blue.

 Simple, round pulls for the drawers and longer handles for the doors. I like to mix my hardware so that it's not all the same. I think it adds interest. I did something similar in our kitchen remodel.


I'm so pleased with this mini makeover! Total cost was about $60 and most of that cost was the hardware and primer. Next project: retiling our shower!

No comments:

Post a Comment