Reupholstering A Rocking Chair
It's sturdy and in pretty good shape, and had been freshly upholstered. But the fabric was yellow and pink - not going to work for a boys nursery. Time to reupholster!
Since the old fabric was light in color, and the new fabric I choose was dark, I decided to go right overtop. First, I removed the duster on the bottom, exposing the bottom seams. I pulled back the fabric here in order to attach the new fabric on the cushion and back.
Next, I removed the trim. I probably could have skipped this step because the new trim I got was wider, but I wanted a really polished look so I took the extra time to remove it.
Then I cut my new fabric to size, stretched it smooth and stapled the edges. I used an all purpose spray adhesive underneith to hold the fabric in place.
Next I cut off the extra fabric on the edges as close to the wood as possible.
Here's how it looked after all the edges were cut, before I added the trim.
Using my hot glue gun, I slowly added the trim all around the edges covering all the staples.
We decided to leave the wood natural even though it has scratches, I like the "lived-in" look.
This chair is going to look great in our rustic nursery! I'll post more pics of the room's progress soon. We have some big plans for it.